Saturday 24 March 2012

Chili Express pt 2

I am offically a blogger.  How stupid.  But this is easier than sending an email everytime.  I promise  I am not going to start hanging out in coffee shops while I post, wearing flannel shirts and skinny jeans.  Can't stand it.  Anyhow...
What is going on now...

Work is something else.  Very long hours mainly spent learning as much as I can.  Actually, that is not totally true.  I spend a good deal of time reading emails.  During a normal work day I receive around 100 to 140.  That's just from 8-5.  Since we are on a 13 hour time difference of our home office, There are many more emails outside of that time frame.  I haven't counted, I don't want to know. 

I have been interviewing folks to fill two spots I have open.  For those who have interviewed in the states, doing it over here is a trip.  Questions are asked that would never be asked in the states.  Questions about age, race, religion, and family history are very directly asked in the interview.  I almost fell out of my chair when the person next to me started asking said questions on the first interview I was in.  I couldn't even begin to wonder what the interviewee was thinking when my jaw hit the table.  I am sure they thought I was experiencing some medical condition or that I had a tick. 

There is a bit of push here in Singapore to push more locals in positions that expats normally hold.  There are always whispers of why are expats even needed over here.  Well there is an answer.  Now, my caveat to this statement is that it is a vast generalization... The reason is that it is very very hard to find a Singaporean that will have the ability to think outside the box.  They are amazing at tasks, but being put in a situation where there is no written guidelines and they will almost shut down.  For example.  In one of the interviews I was trying to get one of the interviewsees to acknowledge that overtime was acceptable by talking in hypothetical situations.  I used an example of getting a quote late in the day that would take a couple hours to complete and would need to be ready and turned into the customer the next day.  I was trying to get her to say that she would stay after closing time and finish it.  I asked it four different ways.  First very broadly then very directly.  She finally said that she would tell the customer it wasn't possible.  I was amazed and ended it there.  There are diamonds in the rough but they very rare. 

But over all work is very good.  I am really enjoying it.

We have keys to our new apartment, but I am still in the service apartment.  I don't have any furniture and I don't want the police called on me for being mistaken for a squatter.  I will get the necessities and move in soon.  An air mattress, a couple pots, plastic ware, a chair and a TV.  Though, I am sure it will still look like a crack house. I have attached pictures.  Workers not included.

This is standing in the middle of the covered section of the porch.

The pool is just off to the right. There is a gate just to the right and behind where I am standing that leads to a street that goes up to a national park that has a great look out area.

View as you come in the front door.  You can just make out the door to the kitchen on the left.

The kitchen.  He doesn't come with it.  Just to the right of him is another room that has the washer/dryer, dishwasher, and oven.  The helper's quarters are in there too.

One of the guest rooms.  The other is right next to it and exactly the same.

Master bedroom.  One of the lamp shade looking fixtures is now a fan.  Every room has a the window you see here with a great bench area.

Master bath.  There is a small whirlpool style tub and a walk in shower

Guest bathroom.  Hes not included.

These pictures were taken a couple weeks ago.  I did go there today to walk around the area to see what was close.  Walking the long way, a 15 minute walk puts you in Harbourfront, which has Vivocity, an MRT station (subway), and the gateway to Sentosa.  More on Sentosa later when I go at some point.  Vivocity is a mall, there are a million malls.  Seriously... there are probably well over 20 malls in Singapore.  Vivocity is one of the largest.  In fact, it is one of the bigger I have ever seen.  It makes the Galleria look like a Walmart.  I was there for well over an hour and only made it through about half.


Not a very good picture.  I was trying to capture how far this area went back.  From where I am standing it is well over 150 yards back.  This is just one area and there are three floors.

Also a terrible picture.  This is on the third floor of the mall.  In the background there is a cable car that goes to Sentosa.  That water in the middle is about 2 feet deep where lots of people were walking in the water and several kids playing it.

There are two little girls running through the water here.

Very interesting place.  It took me 20 minutes just to get out.  There are dozens of restaurants and a movie theater.  Great place.  Taking the short way home walking took me about 7 minutes.

Signing off for now.  Next post will be about St Patty's day in Singapore last weekend.  What a trip.

I will be in Bangkok this week for business this coming week.  More later...


2 comments:

  1. Very cool and keep doing the updates. Also, what is the significance of Chilli Express?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog, which is our room and when is house warming party.

    ReplyDelete